U.S. citizens may bring their foreign fiancé(e)s to the United States in order to get married.

K-1 Visa Eligibility

  • Petitioner is a U.S. citizen.
  • Petitioner and foreign fiancé intend to get married within 90 days of the fiancé’s entry to the United States on a K-1 visa.
  • Petitioner and foreign fiancé are both legally free to marry (previous marriages have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment).
  • Petitioner and foreign fiancé met each other in person at least once within the 2-year period before filing the K-1 visa petition. This in-person meeting can be waived if in-person meeting violates strict and long-established customs of fiancé’s foreign culture or social practice. Or, in-person meeting results in extreme hardship to petitioner.

How to Apply

  • The U.S. citizen petitioner files Form I-129F with documentary evidence to USCIS.
  • USCIS approves the Form I-129F petition and send the approved petition National Visa Center (NVC).
  • NVC forwards the approved I-129F petition to the U.S. consulate where the fiancé will apply for a K-1 visa.
  • Fiancé attends visa interview at the U.S. consulate.
  • The consular officer approves the K-1 visa application.
  • Fiancé enters the U.S. on K-1 visa.
  • Petitioner and fiancé get married in 90 days after the entry under K-1 status.
  • Filing Form I-485 Adjustment of Status after marriage is registered to adjust status to lawful permanent resident.

Fiancé must leave the United States at the end of the 90-day mark if no marriage occurred within 90 days of entry. However, the U.S. citizen petitioner may file Form I-130 Petition for Foreign Relatives for the foreign fiancé if the marriage is registered after 90 days.